We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we are creating the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low- and middle-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, optimizes the content being delivered to the children based on their progress, and continuously measures their learning development.
We currently have 200,000 active students in low-cost private and public schools in Kenya, and we will scale nationwide by 2026. An externally run randomized control trial has found students in the EIDU program have a 65% higher learning rate than students in the control group.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market. If you’d like to learn more about us, watch this two-minute video.
We believe our actions should be informed by data to ensure students get the best learning outcomes. We also collaborate closely with local governments, creating actionable insights and dashboards to strengthen evidence-based policymaking. To that end, we are looking to grow our data engineering team.
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We value those who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
In this role, you will
- Build and maintain data transformations for downstream consumption (ETL, ELT, streaming).
- Negotiate interfaces between software producers and data consumers.
- Work with social impact data: you will be working with novel data that is able to portray how education systems evolve over time in the context of low- and middle-income countries.
- Use streaming pipelines as well as batch processing technologies to work with huge amounts of data as we scale.
- Pick the right tool for each job: We don’t expect you to have knowledge of all the relevant technologies, but rather you will research and learn new technologies and help us adopt best practices.
- Collaborate cross-functionally and interdisciplinarily with stakeholders, data scientists, BI analysts, engineers, product owners, members of the operations team, and our users.
- You will closely collaborate with our software engineering and data teams and receive their full support. However, we don’t have a dedicated data-engineering department, so you will need to:
- Drive the design and implementation of new features.
- Own data engineering projects from start to end.
- Own different portions of critical data infrastructure.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Kenya and Germany, who support and help each other grow to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- Welcoming Data and Engineering teams with whom you will collaborate in creating the data pipelines that enable our insights.
- Current technologies: SQL, dbt, Metabase, Tableau, Python. We use event sourcing to model our operational data.
- Our stack is evolving, as we are always looking for the best tool for the job while at the same time keeping the stack as streamlined and unified as possible. Anyone is invited to propose new technologies.
- We are looking to refine our data architecture, introducing Kafka, Flink, Spark, or similar technologies – you will have a key role in deciding the specifics.
- Some other relevant technologies that we use: Kotlin, Redshift, AWS, Terraform, GitHub Actions for CI/CD
- Technologies other people in the company use: Android, serverless architectures, AWS Lambda, TypeScript, React.js
- Expand your skillset beyond just Data Engineering – if you are interested in developing your DevOps or ML Ops skills you can gain hands-on experience as part of this role.
- Unique technical opportunities given the environment that we operate in: low-cost devices, limited connectivity, non-tech-savvy users, massive scale.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and freedom. We care about results, and believe people work best when given the freedom to structure their work themselves, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours and vacations, and the option to work from home up to four days per week.
- An agile approach informed by data at all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Exciting trips to Kenya to see your impact firsthand and meet our teachers and learners.
- Defined and transparent salary ranges – you don’t have to negotiate to be paid what you’re worth.
- A (seriously) unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- Experience in data modeling, schema design, and optimization.
- Experience with pipelines for Data visualization tools such as Tableau or Power BI.
- Proven experience in SQL, which you’ll be using on a daily basis.
- Experience with the rest of our tech stack is not required; we care about your data engineering skills rather than what technologies you have used!
- We speak and operate in English – knowledge of German is not required.
If this resonates with you, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are eager to get to know you!