At EIDU, we are creating the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. We are currently working with the Kenyan Government to roll out our platform to their public pre-primary schools and expect to reach all 2 million pre-primary children in Kenya by 2025.
Tackling a problem as complex as the global learning crisis is too much for any one organisation. We already work closely with a number of universities, educational researchers and content providers to measure and improve our impact. We now want to safely open our platform and provide access to our anonymised data as well as allowing for third party deployment. This will create a totally new ecosystem in the research and education community, facilitating global collaboration to accelerate learning in low-income communities.
Along with our software engineers you will be a core part of developing this system which will include working on:
- Taking the historical learning and assessment data from hundreds of thousands of children across sub-Saharan Africa to generate meaningful learning metrics
- Collaborating with researchers and content creators to build personalisation algorithms or other digital interventions
- Building an effective testing system, using for example multi-armed bandits, which can identify promising personalisation algorithms submitted by researchers while deprioritizing or blocking harmful ones
- Enriching our Learning Analytics Platform which is used by researchers and content creators to help them understand the impact they are having on our learners.
- General analysis of learner behaviour to identify issues or opportunities to improve learning outcomes
- Collaborating with researchers and other team members to disseminate findings with the wider education community
What we offer
- You will be a key team member building a totally innovative AI system
- Working with academic AI and educational researchers who are thought leaders in their field
- An international and passionate team located primarily in Berlin & Nairobi, who support and challenge each other to achieve our great goal: quality education for all.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and autonomy. We care about results, not time spent at the office, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours, vacations, and the place you choose to work (including fully remote, except for 1 week per quarter in our Berlin or Nairobi office).
- Agile and data-driven decision-making at all levels of the organization.
- Exciting field trips to visit our users in Africa (currently in Kenya).
- A competitive salary and an unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are fixing one of the world’s biggest problems.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- 2 – 4 years of experience as a Data Scientist
- Demonstrated experience of building production level machine learning systems using Python, R, Java or similar.
- Skilled in designing and evaluating A/B tests and other analysis techniques to generate actionable insight
- Advanced SQL
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to translate and present technical analysis to a non-technical audience
- Experience in the education or development sector is a plus
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We particularly welcome applicants who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
If this resonates with you, there is no time to waste
Please submit CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.