Social edtech startup: educating the poorest 600 million children
Over 600 million children do not acquire basic literacy or numeracy skills, drastically diminishing their chances to a fulfilling life. With the rapid penetration of smartphones in low-income countries; for the first time in history, we will be able to reach these children at scale.
EIDU’s mission is to educate millions of the world’s poorest children by giving them the world’s best learning content at their fingertips. As a start, we are deploying our learning platform (app) for young children in Kenya. Our solution enables children to learn by themselves, at their own pace, at a fraction of the cost of other alternatives. It also trains and supports teachers.
We are growing fast in Kenya – from 25,000 active learners in 2021 to about 100,000 learners in 2022, to an expected 1,000,000 in 2023. Over the next few years, we will help the world’s poorest children by building the next generation’s global EdTech learning platform.
EIDU was founded by successful tech entrepreneurs and is financed by renowned global organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. EIDU aims to combine the best of the social business world with the best of the tech startup world. Our team of 70+ is currently based in Berlin and Nairobi.
Want to find out more? visit our website eidu.com or see our latest video.
What you will be doing
- Contribute to setting the strategic vision and direction of EIDU’s financial trajectory
- Own and improve the overall finance unit, including FP&A, budgeting, investor/donor financial reporting, and supervision of annual financial audits in a fast growth environment
- Take ownership of EIDU’s relationships with service providers such as external accounting firms and lawyers in Germany and Kenya
- Design new tracking tools, drive internal projects to increase efficiency, and support our growth in other ways
- Manage a small but growing team of administrative staff in Berlin and across Africa
Who we are looking for
- You are aligned with EIDU’s mission and seek to have a positive impact in the world
- You have a Master’s degree in Finance or similar qualifications
- You have 3-5 years or more, experience working in the finance team of an international start-up with 40+ people, renowned international corporation or non-profit organization
- You speak and write German at a professional level (due to some external service providers)
- You are flexible and attracted to work in a dynamic and continuous improving environment
- You have advanced knowledge of Excel / Google Sheets
- You are comfortable working both independently and as part of a multicultural team across multiple countries
- Please note that possession of an EU working permit is a strict requirement to apply for this position.
- You have experience with non-profits and donor reporting
- Experience as a Head of Finance or as a team leader is a plus but not a must
- You have experience with data analysis tools, such as powerBI or others
What we offer
- Being part of a social mission-driven yet business-minded EdTech start-up
- A fast career track as we scale up, that only few organizations can match
- A highly talented and diverse international team with supportive, non-hierarchical and fun environment
- Flexible work culture combining remote and office work
- A well-located, unique office in central Berlin for office days you want to meet your colleagues in person
- Competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, unlimited holidays, and weekly team lunches
If this resonates with you, please get in touch
Please submit your CV indicating in the email subject the job title, to email@example.com.
EIDU is proud to be an equal opportunity employer prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any kind. We want to work with the best people no matter how they look, dress, or speak, or whom they love, or believe in. We are committed to building a team that represents various backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, as we believe diverse teams with complementary skill sets make the strongest teams.