Social edtech startup: educating the poorest 600 million children
At EIDU, we want to bring quality education to the world’s poorest 600 million children by giving them the world’s best digital learning content at their ﬁngertips. Most of them are not achieving minimum proﬁciency levels in reading and math today. We have created a learning app platform for young children that works in the lowest-income areas where it’s especially hard to get the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our solution enables children to learn by themselves, at their own pace, and enables teachers to access daily lesson plans to guide their teaching. All of this at a fraction of the cost of other alternatives.
We have established EIDU in public pre-primary schools in 4 counties in Kenya (Mombasa, Kiambu, Murang’a and Embu), with over 95,000 learners regularly using our app and developed a training process that leads to 99% of new teachers actively using the app every day after only one training session. And our plans do not stop here.
For more information, visit our website eidu.com or see our introductory video.
We are currently engaging with all 47 counties to include the EIDU programme in their next annual budgets. All of them have already included funds for the EIDU programme in the drafts of their ﬁve year budget plans or CIDPs (County Integrated Development Plans).
We are looking for a Head of Government Relations (Education) to lead the Government Relations Team. The team is engaging both, on the level of Counties as well as on the national level with the goal of getting EIDU into all public schools in Kenya. This includes identifying, reaching out and engaging with key stakeholders in Counties and the National Government, as well as establishing a long term collaboration. We would prefer a starting date as soon as possible, ideally in June or July 2023.
What will you be doing
- Lead and manage the growing Government Relations Team (currently a team of 3)
- With the team, secure budget inclusion for the EIDU programme, proper execution of procurement processes, signing of contracts, and timely payments to EIDU
- With the team, plan and coordinate all communications from EIDU to government oﬃcials to ensure a uniﬁed communication
- With the team, establish and maintain good relationships with key stakeholders in National Government and County Governments
- Drive the implementation of our goals in the public space by making sure key public oﬃcials make them their own top priority
Who we are looking for
- You have experience leading a team
- You are charismatic, able to develop trust-based relationships, and have strong ethics
- You are a very proactive and autonomous person, with the ability to inform, inﬂuence, negotiate and connect with the relevant people
- You are a clear, compelling communicator and able to best represent EIDU when communicating with stakeholders (you are conﬁdent talking to government oﬃcials)
- You have excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage and prioritize a range of tasks when facing competing deadlines
- You have professional experience in working directly with government oﬃcials in Kenya
- You have at least 4-6 years of work experience, some of that time in Government Relations
- You are willing and able to travel across Kenya, if needed for weeks at a time
- You are comfortable operating in a lean, resource-constrained startup environment and ﬂexible to adapt your role and responsibilities as needed
- You share the passion for EIDU’s mission overall and for EIDU’s customers in particular
- You speak English and Swahili ﬂuently
- You are willing and able to travel across Africa for our expansion
- You have experience in a fast-growing (tech) start up or NGO
- You have Sales experience (B2G or B2B)
What we offer
- Being part of a social mission-driven yet business-minded start up, founded by highly successful serial tech entrepreneurs
- Working in an entrepreneurial, fun, and result-oriented environment with highly talented people who care
- Contributing directly to solving a pressing global inequality problem by improving what we do and how we do it on a daily basis
- Growing your responsibilities as we grow our scale
- Competitive compensation package
If this resonates with you, there is no time to waste
Please submit your CV, a one-paragraph motivation letter, and your earliest start date to firstname.lastname@example.org.