Over 600 million children are not achieving basic literacy or numeracy, drastically diminishing their chance at a fulfilling life. With the rapid penetration of smartphones in Africa, for the first time in history, we will be able to reach these children at a massive scale.
EIDU’s mission is to educate the world’s poorest millions of children by giving them the world’s best learning content at their fingertips. As a start, we have created a learning app for young children in low-income areas, where the high-quality teaching the children need is scarce. Our solution enables children to learn by themselves, at their own pace, at a fraction of the cost of other alternatives.
We’re growing fast – from 10,000 children in 2019 through 50,000 in early 2021 to an expected 1,000,000 in 2023. We are operating in Lagos, Nairobi and Mombasa, and are planning to expand to other cities. Over the next years, we will assist the world’s poorest children by building the next generation’s global EdTech learning platform.
Our team of 25 is currently based in Berlin, Lagos and Nairobi.
Want to find out more? Visit our website, watch our founder at TEDx (How can we provide quality education for all by 2030? | Bernd Roggendorf | TEDxHamburg) or have a look at our latest video.
- Work in an entrepreneurial, result-oriented way to increase EIDU’s core KPIs, such as the number of children using the platform and their learning progress
- Support and work closely with Arne Bleckwenn, one of our CEOs, as well as other experienced entrepreneurs
- Get end-to-end responsibility for a specific work area/project
Working in a small start-up, you will have a lot of space to shape what to work on. There are a lot of ongoing responsibilities and high-priority projects that you could choose from:
- Acting as an interim CFO: Setting up an enhanced, cross-country Finance function enabling future growth and managing an employee responsible for internal processes
- Fundraising: Developing partnerships with philanthropists and large foundations; possibly managing a fundraising intern and driving a large funding round
- Data: Building a robust business-insights analytics function and acting as a data translator between operations, engineering and CEOs
- Other internal processes, such as overseeing quarterly KPI development and reviews
- Developing reliable measurement of the impact of our solution on children’s learning outcomes directly in the app
- Performing research for and designing improvements to our product, processes and therefore to the company’s value proposition for schools and children
- Overseeing a randomized controlled trial in collaboration with a partner
- Supporting market entry in 2nd-tier cities in Kenya and Nigeria, and in Uganda
- Piloting and developing partnerships with local governments and their public school networks
As the ideal candidate, you
- Are aligned with EIDU’s mission and interest in education, and strive to make the world a better place
- Have 1+ years of full-time work experience, preferably in management consulting or a start-up
- Have strong problem-solving skills with a razor-sharp focus on results
- Have the ability to operate and get things done in a very lean, resource-constrained startup environment
- Are comfortable working with and analyzing data (experience with Excel, Tableau and SQL preferred)
- Have solid communication skills, incl. written communication and slide-making
- Have strong interpersonal skills and a positive and flexible attitude
- Are highly independent and an excellent self-starter with good self-management skills
- Desirable but not required: professional experience in developing countries
- The opportunity to grow through end-to-end ownership of given projects and frequent coaching by EIDU’s leadership
- The chance to work every day on solving a pressing global inequality issue
- A highly talented and diverse international team based in Berlin and Africa
- A supportive, non-hierarchical and fun team environment
- Potential field visits to Africa
- Visa support
If this resonates with you, let us know
Please submit CV, one-paragraph motivation, and available start date to email@example.com
You may also reach out for an informal chat to the current secondee at firstname.lastname@example.org