We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we are creating the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low- and middle-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, optimizes the content being delivered to the children based on their progress, and continuously measures their learning development.
We currently have 200,000 active students in low-cost private and public schools in Kenya, and we will scale nationwide by 2026. An externally run randomized control trial has found students in the EIDU program have a 65% higher learning rate than students in the control group.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market. If you’d like to learn more about us, watch this two-minute video.
One of the core elements of EIDU’s approach to improving outcomes for our students is Learning Engineering. The vast anonymised data generated by our large user population creates the opportunity to systematically measure the evolution of learning in underrepresented populations and identify how we can best improve this. The role of the Learning Engineer is to apply advanced Data Science methods to this data to measure learning and suggest new approaches that could accelerate learning outcomes in these environments.
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We value those who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
In this role, you will:
- Be supported by an experienced Data team who will enable you to analyse large amounts of data on learner’s performance on the EIDU platform.
- Create metrics using our formative and summative assessment data that can enable internal and external stakeholders to track learning outcomes over time.
- Apply research-based learning principles to implement personalisation algorithms for delivering content effectively.
- Design features which can meaningfully communicate a student’s learning to their teachers.
- Track the impact of your work through randomised control trials and A/B testing.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- A Masters or Ph.D. in learning engineering, learning analytics, instructional design, data science or a related area. Equivalent professional experience will also be considered.
- Proven experience in generating insights about student learning behavior from large datasets.
- Experience building, or detailed knowledge, of algorithms for educational settings. A focus on automated content sequencing would be especially welcomed.
- Proficiency in Python and SQL.
- We speak and operate in English – knowledge of German is not required.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Kenya and Germany, who support and help each other grow to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and freedom. We care about results, and believe people work best when given the freedom to structure their work themselves, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours and vacations, and the option to work from home up to four days per week. Additionally, we are open to candidates available on a part-time basis.
- An agile approach informed by data at all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Exciting trips to Kenya to see your impact firsthand and meet our teachers and learners.
- A (seriously) unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
If this resonates with you, and you think you could help us make a difference, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
EIDU is an inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We especially encourage women, as well as members of other groups underrepresented in the technology industry, to apply. We look forward to hearing from you and to working together on this exciting chance to make a global change.