We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full intellectual potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we create the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, personalizes their learning experience, and analyses the children’s progress in order to optimise the content being delivered to them.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Berlin, Nairobi, and Lagos, who support and challenge each other to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- An all-senior engineering team with whom you will build high-quality software by applying DevOps and striving for great software craftsmanship. Current tech stack:
- App: Kotlin, Android
- Backend: Kotlin, serverless, AWS, Terraform, FaunaDB, Redshift
- Web: Vue.js
- Unique technical challenges given the environment that we operate in: low-cost devices, limited connectivity, non-tech-savvy users, massive scale.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and autonomy. We care about results, not time spent at the office, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours, vacations, and the place you choose to work.
- Agile and data-driven decision-making on all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
- As a member of our Scrum team, so far consisting of Berlin-based senior engineers, develop features for our Android apps and back-end systems.
- Together with the engineering team, build highly scalable and reliable system architectures.
- You will be our first – of hopefully many – software engineers in Nairobi, so it will be up to you to grow and mentor our nascent Nairobi engineering team.
- Since you’ll be much closer to our users than the Berlin team is, you will likely visit them regularly in order to get clarity on requirements and diagnose issues.
What you should bring
- A minimum of 10 years of recent experience in writing code and designing system architectures or alternatively, at least 5 years of full-stack experience involving Android, Kotlin, and AWS.
- A proven record of developing production-grade software in a team.
- A passion for writing clean, maintainable, functional and testable code.
- Full-stack experience is a plus.
If all this resonates with you, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are eager to get to know you!