We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we are creating the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low- and middle-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, optimizes the content being delivered to the children based on their progress, and continuously measures their learning development.
We currently have 200,000 active students in low-cost private and public schools in Kenya, and we will scale nationwide by 2026. An externally run randomized control trial has found students in the EIDU program have a 65% higher learning rate than students in the control group.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market. If you’d like to learn more about us, watch this two-minute video.
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We value those who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- Proven experience in writing code. Experience designing system architectures is a plus, but not required. We are open to junior, mid and/or senior level engineers.
- A proven record of developing production-grade software in a team.
- A passion for writing clean, maintainable, and testable code. An interest in functional programming is a plus.
- Full-stack experience is a plus.
- Experience with our tech stack is not required; we care about your software engineering skills rather than what technologies you have used!
- We speak and operate in English – knowledge of German is not required.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Kenya and Germany, who support and help each other grow to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- A welcoming engineering team with whom you will build high-quality software by applying DevOps and striving for great software craftsmanship. Current tech stack:
- Apps: Kotlin, Android, Room, Jetpack Compose, continuous integration (GitHub Actions)
- Backend: Kotlin, AWS, MongoDB, Kafka, microservices, infrastructure as code (Terraform), serverless (Lambda/ECS Fargate), continuous deployment (GitHub Actions)
- Web: React, TypeScript, continuous deployment (GitHub Actions)
- Our stack is evolving, as we are always looking for the best tool for the job while at the same time keeping the stack as streamlined and as unified as possible. Anyone is invited to propose new technologies.
- Unique technical opportunities given the environment that we operate in: low-cost devices, limited connectivity, non-tech-savvy users, massive scale.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and freedom. We care about results, and believe people work best when given the freedom to structure their work themselves, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours and vacations, and the option to work from home up to four days per week. Additionally, we are open to candidates available on a part-time basis.
- An agile approach informed by data at all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Exciting trips to Kenya to see your impact firsthand and meet our teachers and learners.
- Defined and transparent salary ranges – you don’t have to negotiate to be paid what you’re worth.
- A (seriously) unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
If this resonates with you, and you think you could help us make a difference, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
EIDU is an inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We especially encourage women, as well as members of other groups underrepresented in the technology industry, to apply. We look forward to hearing from you and to working together on this exciting chance to make a global change.